What's the law?
What's the law? Australian law for new arrivals
A free education kit for use in English language classes and in community settings.
Who should use this kit?
The kit can be used by teachers, educators and community workers who work with migrants and refugees. The kit is designed to be used in English classes, but it can easily be used in other community education settings.
What does the education kit include?
The kit includes a DVD of 10 simple English photo-stories about common legal problems that people newly arrived to Australia may encounter. The kit also includes:
- activity sheets to build students' comprehension and reinforce key messages
- answer sheets, including notes for teachers about how to use the kit.
How will it help new arrivals?
The stories, based on real life experiences, will engage viewers using simple messages and interesting graphics. Watching the stories will help new arrivals:
- get simple information about common legal issues
- recognise and avoid legal problems
- know where to get free legal help if they need it
- build their English language skills.
To order the kit, or for more information about how to use the kit, contact our Community Legal Education section by email on email@example.com
This kit was published in October 2011 by legal aid commissions around Australia and is available from commissions in each state and territory. This project was auspiced by National Legal Aid.
Give feedback about this kit
You can let us know what you thought of the What's the law kit, by completing our survey.