Accessible web design
Tasmania Legal Aid (TLA) is committed to making information accessible to all members of the Tasmanian community, including people with a disability and those using assistive technology or accessibility features. We strive to maintain conformance to W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
Our website responds to the size of the screen it is viewed in. It is designed to render across the latest versions of desktop, mobile and tablet browsers.
ReadSpeaker listen function
If you have trouble reading text online, you may understand the website information more easily if the text is read to you. ReadSpeaker allows the text on this website to be read out loud to you. This makes our website more accessible and more pleasant to visit. You don’t have to download anything to use ReadSpeaker.
Listen to the page
Click the listen button to listen to the web page’s content.
An audio player appears (see image below) and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text of the webpage out loud.
In the control panel you can:
- Pause/restart the reading
- Stop the reading
- Use the progress bar to navigate in the audio
- Adjust the volume
- Click the settings icon to adjust the behavior of the service
- Click the download icon to download the audio file
- Close the player
You can use tab/shift+tab to navigate inside the player and press enter to activate a certain button or link.
Listen to selected text
You can select a part of the text that you want to listen to and then press the pop-up Listen button that appears next to the mouse pointer. When you click the pop-up Listen button, an audio player appears (see the image below) and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text you have selected.
In the settings menu, you can:
- Choose whether you want to have the text highlighted while read
- Choose whether you want the text highlighted on a word and sentence basis, sentence only, or word only
- Choose style and colors for the highlighting
- Choose whether you want the reading speed to be slow, medium, or fast
- Choose whether you want the page to scroll automatically to follow the highlighted text
- Choose whether you want the pop-up Listen button to be shown when text is selected
For more information visit ReadSpeaker’s text-to-speech website
Archives of previous Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania websites are available from the LINC Tasmania archive: Legal Aid Tasmania Archives
More accessibility improvements
We are continuing to improve the accessibility of our website as web technologies and assistive technologies change. If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of information on this website, please contact us.