Fact sheet – Bikes with engines

You can talk to a lawyer for free at Tasmania Legal Aid.

To get free legal information call 1300 366 611 or use the Legal Talk chat from the bottom right hand corner of this website. Legal Talk and our phone lines are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

A lawyer can listen to your story and help identify the next steps you can take.

The law has changed for bikes with engines - what are the changes?

From 1 January 2024, bicycles with a combustible (petrol) engine will be considered a motorbike under the law.

My bike has an engine, what do I need to do?

If you ride your bike on a public road, from 1 January 2024 you now must

  • Register your bike
  • Be licenced to ride a motorised bike
  • Follow the road rules, including wearing a helmet, keeping to the speed limit, and not riding on bush tracks, footpaths or bicycle paths.

How do I register my bike? 

How do I get a licence?

To get a motorcycle licence you need to be at least 16 years and 6 months old. There are a few steps that must be taken:

  • You must pass a road rules knowledge test at Service Tasmania
  • Then you can attend a 2-day Pre Learner Course
  • After passing the course you can get your licence at Service Tasmania.

What can happen if I don’t get a licence to ride my bike which has an engine?

It is against the law to ride a bike with an engine without a licence. It is also against the law if the bike is not registered. These things can happen:

  • The police can take the bike away from you
  • You could be given a big fine
  • If you do it more than once you could even be sent to prison.

Where can I get more information?

 Transport Services lists where you can take your bike for a safety inspection.

Service Tasmania has information about registering a bike with an engine.

Information about the Pre Learner Course.

Here is a short video to watch this for more information about getting you motorbike licence.

Last updated: 7-February-2024