Senior Assist is a team of lawyers and case managers providing free legal advice, assistance and support to seniors who are experiencing, or at risk of elder abuse. We can also help with information and planning to prevent elder abuse. We can visit people in their home or a safe place.
We can assist if you:
- live in Tasmania
- are aged 65+ or 50+ if you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- are experiencing or at risk of elder abuse
Elder abuse is not okay.
Elder abuse is “a single, or repeated act, or lack of appropriate action, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust which causes harm or distress to an older person.” Elder abuse may be financial, physical, spiritual, psychological or sexual. It can also be the result of intentional or unintentional neglect.
Senior Assist works with you to:
- Assist you to understand your legal options to protect you and your assets.
- Providing emotional support to deal with what is happening.
- Provide advice about steps you can take to prevent abuse such as enduring powers of attorney, enduring guardianship, advanced care directives and Wills.
- Support you to make decisions about your safety and future needs.
- Support you to remove the person who is causing you distress from your home.
- Provide legal advice and support to apply for restraint orders (including support at court).
- Advise you regarding recovery of your property (e.g. money, personal belongings or assets such as your car)
- Draft letters for you to send e.g. to request the return of your money or to request that abusive behaviour stop.
- Help you to report abuse to police or other authorities.
- Assist you to access other supports or to pursue legal options.
- Provide information sessions to groups and community agencies about our elder abuse.
Our service is confidential and free – we work at your pace and only do what you want us to do.
If you are not experiencing elder abuse, Tasmania Legal Aid has other services and programs which may be able to assist you.
In an emergency or where your safety is at risk, call Tasmania Police on 000.
Service providers, please email referrals to firstname.lastname@example.org