Family Advocacy and Support Service
Phone: 1800 431 157
What is FASS?
The Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS) is a free service providing assistance to families with family law matters who have been affected by family violence. FASS has 2 parts:
1. FASS Duty Lawyer Service
The FASS Duty Lawyer can:
- Help you in relation to family law matters, family violence matters and child protection matters. This help may include giving you advice, giving information, and letting you know where else you can find help;
- Draft simple court documents in matters involving allegations of family violence;
- Help you gather information and evidence about family violence;
- Go to court with you on matters where there are allegations of family violence;
- Go to court with you for urgent interim matters where there are allegations of family violence
The FASS Duty Lawyer cannot:
- Complete complex documentation and affidavits in non-urgent matters;
- Represent you in contravention applications and final hearings;
- Be an Independent Children’s Lawyer in your matter;
- Offer ongoing help.
2. FASS Social Support Service
The FASS Social Support worker can:
- Help you make a plan for your safety when
you go to court;
- Help you with court staff and security staff;
- Support you before, during and after court;
- Let you know of other social services that
can help you too;
- Help you with receiving support from other
The FASS Social Support worker cannot:
- Give legal help;
- Provide ongoing counselling.
Do I need to make an appointment?
To make an appointment to see the Duty Lawyer or the Social Support worker contact 1800 431 157.
Where can I find FASS?
Family Court: 1st Floor, 39-41 Davey Street, Hobart
Tasmania Legal Aid: 158 Liverpool Street, Hobart
Family Court: 3rd Floor ANZ Building, Corner of Brisbane and George Streets, Launceston
Tasmania Legal Aid: 64 Cameron Street, Launceston
North West Tasmania
Burnie Magistrates Court: 38 Alexander Street, Burnie (when Federal Circuit Court are sitting only)
Tasmania Legal Aid: 50 Alexander Street, Burnie (by appointment)