FASS Social Support Workers available for all family violence matters.
FASS would like to remind practitioners that they can use the FASS Social Support Workers to help any family law client affected by family violence.
- Just use the social support and court support offered by FASS;
- See the Social Support Worker even if they don't have proceedings on foot;
- See the Social Support Worker even if the other party/parties are legally aided and/or represented by TLA.
- Do not need to use the Duty Lawyer Service as well;
- Do not have to be legally aided.
For clients who already have a family lawyer, FASS workers can:
- Offer court support so the client feels safe;
- Do a risk assessment to identify risks for the client and their family;
- Work out a safety plan, for the court proceedings and for daily life;
- Support the client in making referrals to other services.
Often clients will need access to a number of non-legal services during their family law matter. Here are just some of the types of services our social workers can assist clients to access:
- Family Violence Services (including services to improve physical safety and give access to mobile phones);
- MENS program; parenting courses;
- on-going counselling services;
- housing (and emergency housing) services;
- financial counselling;
- health services;
- mental health services;
- drug and alcohol services.
FASS is a free service.
To get FASS support for your client, you or your client can call 1800 431 157.