Money - paying bills or fines

If you can't pay your electricity, gas, phone or water bill, contact your service provider straight away. They will explain your options, such as:

  • an extension to pay;
  • paying in instalments;
  • Centrelink deductions (Centrepay);
  • applying for a utility rebate or voucher by contacting Department of Communities Tasmania on 1300 135 513.

Further updates from Money Smart: Problems paying your bills and fines

Last updated: 20/12/2021